Davidson Lake Association
Board of Directors’ Meeting
June 22, 2018
A Davidson Lake Association (DLA) Board of Directors’ Meeting was held on Thursday, June 22, 2018 at 7:00 p.m. at the Dumfries Fire Hall.
Approval of Minutes
Greg moved that the minutes of the May 17, 2018 Board of Directors’ meeting be adopted as circulated. Roger seconded the motion. Motion carried.
Ken introduced 2 provisional Directors, Aunden Rae & Claude Tremblay, to the attendees and welcomed them to the group.
Arnie stated that the application for the Environmental Trust Fund grant by the New Brunswick Alliance of Lake Associations (NBALA) was only partially approved. The application was for $75,000 and of that amount $55,000 was granted. It is planned that the funding will be used for:
- A workshop to be conducted in July on identifying invasive aquatic plant species at $75 per person. This will provide the basis for creating a volunteer Invasive Plant Patrol;
- Continue to promote and educate environmental concerns and issues of lake watersheds;
- Buy new monitoring equipment for new lakes who have recently joined NBALA; and
- Signage for public boat launches on the need for boat owners to inspect and clean their boats.
Ken stated that the Directory is ready to go to the printer and credited Lyle for collecting most of the advertisements.
The Directors will meet at Arnie’s cottage on Carlin Lane on July 7 at 9:00 a.m. to kick-off the drive. Ken will then have directories and membership cards available for distribution. Andy agreed to update the annual newsletter.
Gerard Daly and Ken met with FERO (Darren Merryweather). They will continue to pick up large items when requested to do so by telephone and will try to pick up within one week. People are asked to not take these items to the shed.
New signage for the shed is in the works.
A dumpster will be placed along the side of Sandy Cove Lane on a trial basis for the months of July and August in an effort to try to reduce overflow issues.
Crownland Protected Natural Area (PNA)
Ken is concerned that the letter we had sent to the Minister of Energy & Resource Development will get filed away and will be forgotten. Andy has agreed to try to stay on top of new guidelines being developed at the Federal and Provincial levels.
Trail: Spring Projects
Ken reported that Donnie Hawkins has cleared a new path that will take the trail around the back of his camp instead of across the front.
The beginning of the south side of the trail needs some ribbons.
Feedback from a group of walkers from the Nackawic area have indicated that more signage would be helpful at Rick Boyd’s property. Ken will talk to Rick.
A picnic table will soon be placed along the trail and it was suggested that another one could be placed by the beaver lodge if anyone has one to donate.
It was felt that the water crossings are okay for this year but may need some work next year.
Ken reported that the grader he had hired had broken down but he expected it would be fixed and grading might take place within the next day or two. (Secretarial note: Grading did place on Friday, June 22.) Ditching will need to be done on Sandy Cove Lane and two culverts on Carlin Lane need to be replaced later on.
- Lake Leveler and Fishway: Ken showed some drawings of a potential fishway to be put in place at the outlet where the lake leveler is located so that fish have a way to get upstream.
- The Annual General Meeting is scheduled for Saturday, July 14, 2018 at 11:00 a.m. in the Dumfries Fire Hall. It was determined which items would be discussed, along with the Election of Officers, and which person would speak on each topic.
- Arnie will provide an update on Water Quality
- Ken will talk about the lake leveler
- Don will speak about the Neighbourhood Watch Program
- Andy will conduct the Election of Officers
- Ken stated that the Emerald Ash Borer is on its way here and is present in Edmundston and in the State of Maine. This is of concern as there are a lot of ash trees around the lake.
- Lyle reported that he had been to visit Wayne Carnell and had delivered our thank-you letter.
The next DLA Bd. of Directors’ Meeting is scheduled for Thursday, September 20, 2018 at 7:00 p.m. in the Dumfries Fire Hall.
The meeting was adjourned at 8:20 p.m.